Томас Пензель Уолтер Фридель
Prof. Dr. Thomas Penzel
Scientific Chair of the Interdisciplinary Center of Sleep Medicine, Physicist, Physiologist, Somnologist
Prof. Penzel graduated from physics (1986), human biology (1991), and physiology (1995) at the University Marburg, Germany. Since 2006 he is the director of research of the Interdisciplinary Sleep Medicine Center at the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin (Germany). In 2001, he received the Bial award for Clinical Medicine in Portugal, in 2008 the Bill Gruen Award for Innovations in Sleep Research by the American Sleep Research Society, and in 2014 the distinguished research award by the Chinese Sleep Research Society. He is secretary of the German Sleep Society and Adcom member of IEEE EMBS. He was IEEE EMBC 2019 conference chair, and co-chair of earlier conferences of World Sleep Society in 2005 in Berlin, and national conferences as well. He is editor-in-chief of the journal Sleep and Breathing. He has published more than 300 journal papers, about 80 book chapters and edited 17 several books. His interests are sleep medicine, biomedical signals, the cardiovascular and the neural system.
1. Penzel T, Kantelhardt JW, Grote L, Peter JH, Bunde A. Comparison of Detrended Fluctuation Analysis and Spectral Analysis for Heart Rate Variability in Sleep and Sleep Apnea. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 50: 1143-1151 (2003).
2. Lo C-C, Chou T, Penzel T, Scammell T, Strecker RE, Stanley HE, Ivanov PC. Common Scale-Invariant Pattern of Sleep-Wake Transitions across Species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101: 17545-17548 (2004).
3. Bartsch RP,Schumann AY, Kantelhardt JW, Penzel T, Ivanov PC. Phase transitions in physiologic coupling. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2012; 109: 10181-10186
4. Penzel T, Kantelhardt JW, Bartsch RP, Riedl M, Kraemer JF, Wessel N, Garcia C, Glos M, Fietze I, Schöbel C. Modulations of Heart Rate, ECG, and Cardio-Respiratory Coupling Observed in Polysomnography. Front Physiol 2016; 7: 460. doi:10.3389/fphys.2016.00460
5. Schwabedal JTC, Riedl M, Penzel T, Wessel N. Alpha-wave frequency characteristics in health and insomnia during sleep. J Sleep Res 2016; 25: 278-286
6. Granitza P, Kraemer JF, Schoebel C, Penzel T, Kurths J, Wessel N. Is dynamic desaturation better than a static index to quantify the mortality risk in heart failure patients with Cheyne-Stokes respiration? Chaos 2018; 28: 106312. doi: 10.1063/1.5039601
7. Penzel T, Schöbel C, Fietze I. New technology to assess sleep apnea: wearables, smartphones, and accessories. F1000Research 2018, 7:413 doi: 10.12688/f1000research.13010.1
8. Wagenseil B, Garcia C, Suvorov AV, Fietze I, Penzel T. The effect of cranial electrotherapy stimulation on sleep in healthy women. Physiol Meas 2018; 39: 114007 doi: 10.1088/1361-6579/aaeafa
9. Benjafield AV, Ayas NT, Eastwood PR, Heinzer R, Ip MSM, Morrell MJ, Nunez CM, Patel SR, Penzel T, Pepin JLD, Peppard PE, Sinha S, Tufik S, Valentine K, Malhotra A. Estimating the global prevalence and burden of obstructive sleep apnoea: a literature-based analysis. Lancet Respir Med 2019 doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30198-5
10. Lyons MM, Kraemer JF, Dhingra R, Keenan BT, Wessel N, Penzel T, Gurubhagavatula I. Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Commercial Drivers Using EKG-derived Respiratory Power Index. J Clin Sleep Med.2019; 15: 23-32. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.7562